This vegan recipe by the BOSH! guys (Henry Firth and Ian Theasby) is both summery and sustaining and it’s a great match for Regather veg box contents right now. The ‘Red’ is a nod to red wine in lieu of the traditional white for a risotto. No worries if you don’t have quite enough fresh tomato weight – perhaps bump up the courgette slightly. Non-vegans can of course add some grated parmesan when plating up.
- 1 aubergine (about 250g)
- 1 courgette (about 200g)
- 400g tomatoes
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes in oil (about 50g)
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 900ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 225g risotto rice
- 125ml red wine
- 1½ tbsp dairy-free butter
- 2 tbsp pine nuts, to serve
- Fresh basil leaves, a handful, to serve
- Salt and black pepper
- Preheat oven to 180C/Gas 4. Trim the aubergine and courgette and cut them into 2.5cm chunks. If you have large tomatoes, cut them to the same size. Put them all on the lined baking tray, drizzle over 2 tbsp of the oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the tray in the oven and bake for 40 mins. (If using cherry toms, add these half-way through.)
- Meanwhile, peel and finely chop the red onion and garlic. Finely chop the sun-dried tomatoes. Remove the leaves from the rosemary and thyme, then finely chop.
- Place the stock in a medium saucepan on a low heat and keep warm.
- Warm the remaining 2 tbsp of oil in a large saucepan. Add the chopped red onion to the pan and cook until soft and translucent (about 10-15 mins).
- Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Add the rosemary and thyme, sun-dried tomatoes and tomato puree and give everything a stir, Cook for another 4-5 mins.
- Pour the rice into the pan and stir it for about 1 minute. Increase heat slightly, pour in the wine and stir until rice has absorbed all the wine. Then start adding the stock, a ladleful at a time, waiting until the stock has been absorbed before adding another ladleful (you may not need all of it).
- After 15 mins, the rice should be about 2-3 mins away from being perfectly al dente. Take the roasted veg out of the oven, scrape them into the pan and fold them into the risotto along with all their juices. Stir until rice is just cooked.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the dairy-free butter. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide between 4 bowls. Sprinkle over the pine nuts and garnish with fresh basil leaves.