At Regather you can never have too many courgettes. This is a bit of an in-house joke but we’re sure you’re all looking for new ways to eat these faithful vegetables whose familiarity can breed not contempt but perhaps a desire for new ideas. Corn fritters are very big in the Antipodes and we think the courgette/zucchini and the chilli sauce elements are nice touches. Recipe based on one from bbcgoodfood.com. The original recipe calls for poached eggs on top… totally optional!
Sweetcorn, courgette and spring onion fritters
- 300g can sweetcorn, drained
- 120g courgette, grated
- 4 or 5 spring onions, finely chopped
- ½-1 tsp smoked paprika (to taste)
- 100g self-raising flour
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 80ml milk (plant milk is OK, soya especially)
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to season.
- To serve: [Poached eggs – optional]
- Salad leaves on the side
- Chilli sauce: 6 tbsp sweet chilli sauce + juice 1 lime.
- OR: try a small dipping bowl of mayonnaise and Greek yogurt mixed together and swirled through with Sriracha chilli sauce.
- Mix the sweetcorn, spring onions, courgette, paprika, flour, beaten egg, milk and some seasoning in a large bowl and set aside.
- Mix chilli sauce and set aside: EITHER Mix sweet chilli sauce with lime juice // OR Mix equal parts mayo and yogurt, then a good swirl of Sriracha chilli sauce.
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick pan and spoon in four mounds (size of a small burger) of the fritter mixture, spaced apart. When brown on the underside, turn over and cook for 3 mins more until golden. Remove from pan, keep hot in a very low oven and repeat process until all the mixture is used.
- Serve the fritters with a drizzle of the chilli-lime dressing and some mixed leaves. Or dollop a generous amount of the mayo/yogurt/sriracha mix as a dip on your plate.