At Regather you can never have too many courgettes. This is a bit of an in-house joke but we’re sure you’re all looking for new ways to eat these faithful vegetables whose familiarity can breed not contempt but perhaps a desire for new ideas. Corn fritters are very big in the Antipodes and we think the courgette/zucchini and the chilli sauce elements are nice touches. Recipe based on one from bbcgoodfood.com. The original recipe calls for poached eggs on top… totally optional!
- 300g can sweetcorn, drained
- 120g courgette, grated
- 4 or 5 spring onions, finely chopped
- ½-1 tsp smoked paprika (to taste)
- 100g self-raising flour
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 80ml milk (plant milk is OK, soya especially)
- 1-2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper to season.
- To serve: [Poached eggs – optional]
- Salad leaves on the side
- Chilli sauce: 6 tbsp sweet chilli sauce + juice 1 lime.
- OR: try a small dipping bowl of mayonnaise and Greek yogurt mixed together and swirled through with Sriracha chilli sauce.
- Mix the sweetcorn, spring onions, courgette, paprika, flour, beaten egg, milk and some seasoning in a large bowl and set aside.
- Mix chilli sauce and set aside: EITHER Mix sweet chilli sauce with lime juice // OR Mix equal parts mayo and yogurt, then a good swirl of Sriracha chilli sauce.
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick pan and spoon in four mounds (size of a small burger) of the fritter mixture, spaced apart. When brown on the underside, turn over and cook for 3 mins more until golden. Remove from pan, keep hot in a very low oven and repeat process until all the mixture is used.
- Serve the fritters with a drizzle of the chilli-lime dressing and some mixed leaves. Or dollop a generous amount of the mayo/yogurt/sriracha mix as a dip on your plate.