Make the most of summer’s plums with this mouth-watering salad-y dish. Fruit and tangy cheese are a fantastic combination and the savoury umami kick of the dressing transforms it into something not too pudding-ish. Recipe from Rosie Reynolds and published in The Guardian in “10 Best Plum Recipes” special.
- For the salad: 6 English plums, halved and stoned
- 140g watercress, rocket and spinach leaves
- 200g crumbly cheese, crumbled (e.g. Cheshire, Wensleydale or Lancashire)
- 100g flaked almonds, toasted and roughly chopped
- For the dressing: 1 small red onion, very thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp cold-pressed rapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp English mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- Put the onion in a small bowl with the lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Leave to stand for 5 minutes. Combine with the other dressing ingredients in a serving dish. Set aside.
- Slice the plums and add to the dish with the onions and salad leaves. Pour over half of the dressing and toss to combine. Scatter over the crumbled cheese and chopped nuts, pour over the remaining dressing and serve.