French onion tart
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- Yellow onions - 900g, sliced into rings
- Fresh thyme - 2 sprigs
- Eggs - 2
- Single cream - 1/2 cup
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp
- Butter - 2 tbsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Freshly ground black pepper - 2 tsp
- Melt the butter and oil together in a large skillet.
- Add the onions, thyme and salt to the skillet. Cook on medium-low heat until the onions are completely translucent and caramelised - about 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- While the onions are cooking, preheat oven to 200C / Gas mark 6.
- Combine the eggs and the single cream in a bowl. Add the caramelised onion mixture and the black pepper.
- Roll out the puff pastry in a buttered pie or glass dish. (Make sure the pastry has sufficient turned-up edge to hold the onion mixture.)
- Add the mixture to the pastry and bake for 25 minutes or until the crust and top are slightly browned.
- Allow to cool, then slice and serve with a mixed salad.