This recipe almost got beaten to the finish line for this week’s edition by a decadent fondant swede dish, but the swede chunks were bathed in a frankly obscene amount of butter! So with healthy-start January in mind, instead we have this hearty meal in a pot from the always reliable thedoctorskitchen.com – but the seasonal swede from the box keeps its starring role.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 6 veggie sausages
- 500g swede, cut into 2cm chunks
- 200g leeks, cut into 2cm chunks
- 1 onion (100g) cut into chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 roasted red peppers from jar (roughly 150g)
- 1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 300ml veg stock
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Put a large casserole dish on medium heat with oil then add sausages and cook for 5-10 mins until golden on the outside.
- Remove sausages from the pan and set aside.
- Return the pan to the heat with swede, onion, garlic, leeks, smoked paprika, cumin seeds and some salt and pepper.
- Cook for around 5 minutes, before adding the chopped tomatoes, peppers, tomato puree, vinegar and 300ml vegetable stock.
- Transfer the dish to the oven for 20-25 minutes until the sauce is thick and the swede is cooked through. Add the sausages and cook for a further 5 minutes to heat through.