This week we have Hazelhurst Fruitery blackcurrants courtesy of the lovely Huw at Sheffield Organic Growers in the Moss Valley, neighbours to the Regather farm. The fruit have arrived complete with recipe suggestions. You’ll need to adjust according to the weight of blackcurrants in your box.
- Here's some ideas for using blackcurrants
- Blackcurrant Compote: Put 250g washed blackcurrants in a pan, together with 2 tablespoons of sugar and 2 tablespoons of water. Bring to the boil over a low heat, Simmer for 5 mins, then allow to cool. Can be served with cereal & yogurt, with rice pudding, or over ice cream.
- Blackcurrant Cordial: Put 450g washed blackcurrants, 250g sugar and 260ml water in a pan and dissolve the sugar over a low heat. Simmer for 5 mins. Add the juice and skin of a lemon, then boil for 5 mins.
- Blackcurrant Cordial cont. : Cool for 10 mins, pour through a fine sieve. Put into a clean, sterilised bottle and keep in the fridge. Makes 750ml. Dilute to taste.
- Other Ideas… Blackcurrant crumble (good with oats in the crumble topping). Blackcurrant ice cream or sorbet (great if you like a really strong flavour!). Summer pudding, with whatever mix of summer fruits you can find.
- Other ideas...cont. Blackcurrant jelly (good with some savoury dishes, as well as the more obvious uses). As a topping on cheesecake. A small handful of fresh blackcurrants is good with muesli (or overnight oats) and yogurt.