If you have beetroot in your veg box today or lingering from last week, this is a great way to give this humble root the star treatment. So simple, surprisingly delicious and the crimson, white and green looks very alluring on the plate. A fantastic starter or light lunch alongside some good bread. Recipe from bbcgoodfood.com. The beetroot slices need to be extremely thin: if you are slicing them by hand (as I did) and they’re not delicate enough, increase the marinating time, ideally several hours or overnight.
Marinated beetroot with grilled goat’s cheese
- 4 smallish raw beetroot or 2 slightly larger ones
- 6 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 200g goats cheese logs, cut into thick slices/rounds
- 4 handfuls rocket
- Wash and peel the beetroot. If they have unblemished skins just scrub clean rather than peel. Slice them as thinly as possible ideally with a mandoline or a food processor slicing attachment.
- Mix the oil, vinegar, sugar and thyme in a shallow dish and season well. Add the sliced beetroot and marinate for at least a couple of hours or overnight if possible.
- Heat grill to high. Season the goat’s cheese slices, then place on an oiled baking tray and grill for 2-3 mins until golden and melting.
- Lift out the beetroot, reserving the marinade, and divide between four plates. Top with the rocket, a round of goat’s cheese and a little more rocket. Drizzle with the marinade and serve.