We are now stocking organic Hot ‘n’ Smoky Kimchi by Loving Foods. It is truly delicious: use it as a topping and flavour boost for plain rice and stir-fried veg. Or try these kimchi latkes – little shallow-fried potato and kimchi patties. Recipe idea from Kirsten & Christopher Shockey in their excellent book Fermented Vegetables – my favourite culinary book purchase of the last couple of years. They recommend serving the kimchi latkes with soured cream or a peanut/satay-style sauce.
- 1 cup peeled and grated potatoes
- 1 cup drained and packed kimchi
- 3 tbsp plain flour or your favourite gluten-free blend
- 3 eggs, beaten
- Pinch of salt to taste (but the kimchi adds salt, so you might not need any extra)
- ½ cup peanut or coconut oil for frying
- Put the grated potatoes in a strainer or colander and push out any extra moisture.
- In a medium bowl, combine the potatoes, kimchi and flour. The goal is to have a nice coating of flour on the potatoes and vegetables. Mix in the eggs and add salt if needed.
- Heat the oil until hot over medium-high heat in a large frying pan.
- Place large spoonfuls of the potato mixture into the hot oil, pressing down on them to form patties ¼ to ½ inch thick. Brown the latkes on one side, then turn and brown the other side.
- Serve hot with sour cream or peanut sauce.