Brussels sprouts are not just for Christmas! Another great way to cook these lovely, nutritious little brassica baubles. Recipe from Joe Wicks (no less) on bbcgoodfood.com and recommended by our fab customer Sophie. Don’t forget you can add fresh organic garlic to your veg box any time from the Regather shop.
- 1 ½ tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large red onion , sliced
- 1 red pepper , finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 10 chicken thighs fillets (boneless and skinless)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 250ml chicken stock
- 6 dried apricots , cut in half
- 175g canned chickpeas , drained and rinsed
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 275g Brussels sprouts, shredded
- 50g feta
- ½ small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- Heat 1 tbsp of the coconut oil in a large flameproof casserole dish over a medium heat. When melted and hot, add the onion, pepper and garlic. Cook, stirring regularly, for 3-4 mins or until just starting to soften.
- Increase the heat to maximum and add the chicken thighs. Fry everything together for about 3 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle in the spices, squeeze in the tomato purée and fry, stirring almost constantly, for 1 min. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and partially cover with a lid.
- After 30 mins, add the dried apricots and chickpeas, and continue to simmer for a further 10 mins.
- While the tagine is bubbling, heat the remaining 1/2 tbsp of oil in a frying pan over high heat. When melted, add cumin seeds, toast for 10 secs, then add the shredded sprouts. Fry sprouts on high, stirring almost constantly, for 5 mins - they should have softened and browned in places.
- Serve the tagine in a large bowl, scatter over the fried sprouts, crumble over the feta and finish with the coriander.