Get some wholegrain and pulses as well as veg into your bowl with this simple vegan recipe. Adapted from the book ‘Grains as Mains: Modern Recipes using Ancient Grains’ by Laura Agar Wilson.
- Coconut oil - 1 tbsp
- Onion - 1, finely chopped
- Korma paste - 4 tbsp
- Bulgur wheat - 100g
- Red lentils - 100g
- Coconut milk - 400ml
- Vegetable stock - 500ml
- Cauliflower - 300g, cut into medium-sized florets
- Coriander leaves to garnish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent.
- Add the korma paste and cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add the bulgur wheat, lentils, coconut milk, stock, cauliflower. Mix well to combine.
- Let the mixture almost come to the boil, then reduce heat to a gentle simmer. Cook for 20 minutes, stirring frequently, until the bulgur wheat is almost cooked, the cauliflower is becoming tender, and the texture thick and creamy. Sample and season with salt to taste (and if you want a gentle kick of heat, add a pinch of red chilli flakes). Simmer for a further 5-10 minutes until textures are to your liking.
- Remove from heat, garnish with coriander, serve hot.