New season beetroots have been gracing our veg boxes. Here’s the second edition of our ‘Staff Favourites’ recipe series and it comes from the boundlessly creative and energetic Jess, long-time friend of Regather and team member. Alongside her packing room and delivery work, Jess always has lots of cool projects on the go and she co-runs the clothing exchange Common Thread . Jess says: “The story behind this recipe was 5+ years ago when I was running a craft club at Regather on Thursday evenings. Veg box scheme was quite small then so I could oversee box collection at the same time. A lovely customer called Hannah (who is still a customer) came in with her then wee baby in a sling. She was over the moon about beetroots in her box, as her little one loves her beetroot and apple soup, and gave me this recipe which I’ve enjoyed ever since.”
- Beetroots (however many are in your veg box)
- Apples (half the weight of the beets)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick of celery
- Veg stock
- To serve:
- Feta cheese
- Pumpkin seeds or fennel seeds
- Scrub the beets very clean (or peel them) and halve or quarter them so they are evenly sized. Peel and quarter the apples, remove cores. Roast everything in a moderate oven until very tender – put beets and apples in separate areas so you can easily remove the apples if they’re quicker to cook.
- Meanwhile, sauté the celery, carrot and onion. Make up some veg stock to have ready.
- Once the roast veg has cooled a little, blend everything together with the stock.
- Enjoy with crusty bread and butter. Feta cheese and pumpkin seeds (or roasted fennel seeds) make a great addition on top.