New season beetroots have been gracing our veg boxes. Here’s the second edition of our ‘Staff Favourites’ recipe series and it comes from the boundlessly creative and energetic Jess, long-time friend of Regather and team member. Alongside her packing room and delivery work, Jess always has lots of cool projects on the go and she co-runs the clothing exchange Common Thread . Jess says: “The story behind this recipe was 5+ years ago when I was running a craft club at Regather on Thursday evenings. Veg box scheme was quite small then so I could oversee box collection at the same time. A lovely customer called Hannah (who is still a customer) came in with her then wee baby in a sling. She was over the moon about beetroots in her box, as her little one loves her beetroot and apple soup, and gave me this recipe which I’ve enjoyed ever since.”
Beetroot and apple soup
- Beetroots (however many are in your veg box)
- Apples (half the weight of the beets)
- 1 medium onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick of celery
- Veg stock
- To serve:
- Feta cheese
- Pumpkin seeds or fennel seeds
- Scrub the beets very clean (or peel them) and halve or quarter them so they are evenly sized. Peel and quarter the apples, remove cores. Roast everything in a moderate oven until very tender – put beets and apples in separate areas so you can easily remove the apples if they’re quicker to cook.
- Meanwhile, sauté the celery, carrot and onion. Make up some veg stock to have ready.
- Once the roast veg has cooled a little, blend everything together with the stock.
- Enjoy with crusty bread and butter. Feta cheese and pumpkin seeds (or roasted fennel seeds) make a great addition on top.